Friday, April 8, 2011

(chow)down - on Search for that Slice


Living most of my life in the NYC metro area has had a huge influence on my style, politics, interests, and palette. As a kid, a slice of pizza was sure to be the highlight of school lunch. While that might say more about my school's menu than it does pizza, the perfect combination of cheese, tomato sauce and dough cannot be denied. A slice is my idea of comfort if it's cooked to a crisp with a healthy dose of cheese. With that being said, I often look at the pizza options in JC with ambiguity. While I can read off a list of slices one must have while in Manhattan or Brooklyn, I struggle to find a slice in JC that I can stand behind 100%. After a few discussions with friends and reading over pizza threads on JC List, I thought it was time to put JC slices to the test. Over the coming weeks I will happily ingest as many slices as my wallet can afford, documenting each pizza shop and slice for all to read. A quick glimpse in the yellow pages provides the addresses of way over 100 spots to choose from. I do not have the time, energy, funds or abs to hit them all. That's where the folks of Chilltown come in. While I already have a few spots on my hit list, I am looking for suggestions in helping me find the best slice. If you think your local joint needs to be reviewed, leave a comment so I can check it out. I'm not doing this quest alone. As I prefer my slices plain, I am bringing a meat lover and a veggie lover along for the ride. So hit me up with suggestions, spread the word and check back for what will hopefully be a successful quest of ingestion.

(the)Skinny
All slices will be rated on the quality of cheese, sauce and dough. Any variation in slice i.e. meat, veggie, deep dish etc will be highlighted and rated separately. I doubt the best slice is in downtown, so be sure to tell me of other joints worth a visit.

If you're in Manhattan or Brooklyn and in need of a slice, here are 4 suggestions not to be missed.
1. Co. - 230 9th Ave. (at 24th Street) Chelsea
2. Ben's Pizza - 123 MacDougal Street
3. Grimaldi's - 19 Old Fulton Street Dumbo, Brooklyn
4. Otto Enoteca Pizzeria - 1 Fifth Ave. (at 8th Street)



5 comments:

  1. Like your blog - just linked over from jclist. I live in the neighborhood and would love to be randomly stopped if you liked my style ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for reading and commenting, I appreciate the feedback. Just back from a wander, was hoping to find some cool clothing and individuals. Maybe see you around the 'hood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Pompei Pizza on West Side Ave between Jewett and Fairview... 722 WSA. Best kept secret in JC pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza Masters in the Heights is my personal fave, with Gino's being a close second. It may be interesting to include Uno's if only because its the only non-NYC style pizza joint in town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip on Pompei, I was struggling to find a recommendation for that side of town.

    Pizza Master's and Gino's are certainly going head to head in a heights showdown.

    ReplyDelete