Friday, March 25, 2011

(spot)light - the Rise of Whiskey


I am not one to deny the fact that I enjoy a shot of Whiskey to accompany my beer. Others have taken notice, as my parents recently brought me a large bottle of Whiskey back from their travels, and I've been blamed for some friends newly acquired appreciation. I always much preferred Scotch over Whiskey, which my years living in Scotland surely cemented. Nothing beats drinking my favorite Scotch, Oban, in Oban. But I don't live in Scotland anymore and the price for an Oban is ludicrous. So enter Jameson. More often than not, there will come a point (usually after the 2nd beer) when one of my fellow Velvet Undergrounders will start buying rounds of Whiskey. Much to my surprise, we're not the only ones. Irish Whiskey, which all but disappeared in the 1960s, is one of the fastest growing alcohol exports around the world. Sales in the U.S. grew 22 percent last year. The Irish government, which recently had to borrow $90 billion from the EU due to its debt and ailing economy, welcomes the news and calls it an integral part of their exports. Distilleries are expanding, bringing much needed jobs to the Cork region.

(the)Skinny
Nothing beats the warmth of a nice Whiskey to follow the bitter chill of a PBR. If my love of an alcohol can help a struggling economy, all the better. So hit the local pub and do your good deed of the day... fill your shot, say cheers and let the Jameson taste that much sweeter. 
Looking for a recession special? To avoid paying between $6 and $9 a shot, hit up The Keyhole. It's worth it. 

Scotch and Whiskey are not the same. Read my quick summary of their differences and impress your local alcoholic. 
1. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while Whiskey can be made anywhere in the world.
2. For Scotch the word Whisky is always spelt without the alphabet e.
3. Scotch must be made as per the standards laid down in The Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009.
4. Scotch is generally lighter and smoother in taste than other whiskies.



No comments:

Post a Comment