Tuesday, May 10, 2011

(chow)down - on Search for that Slice - 3 Guys from Italy

New Digs; JFK Boulevard
It's been years since I've had much reason to head to Journal Square. Once the heart of this growing city, the Square personifies what could have been. And while the revitalization is often spoken of and pictured in numerous artist renditions, the Square has ways to go. The last time I ate in the Square was at the delicious and terribly missed Canton. But everything deserves a second chance and with the Loews Theater continuously playing great flicks, I had to take my search for the perfect slice to this area. That's where 3 Guys from Italy comes in. I remember when 3 Guys was nestled on a dodgy ally above the bus terminal; the ally often littered with trash, dime bags and drunkards. With no tables or chairs offered it was the epitome of a joint to grab a slice and go. I had fond memories of the pizza but could easily write that off to a serious case of misguided teenage munchies. With this bit of history in mind and current calls from readers to give it a try, I could not avoid 3 Guys. (If on main page, click read more just below.)

Herbivore expresses Doubt
With a couple of singles in my pocket and the herbivore and carnivore at my side, I geared up for my second attempt at finding the perfect slice in JC. I made the terrible mistake of letting the carnivore's laziness get the best of me and took a car. Parking at the Square, for reasons that are beyond me, is impossible. Since patience is clearly not one of my virtues I made a hard right and found myself in an overpriced parking lot. The lot led me through the ally adjacent to the grandiose theatre and spat me out onto JFK Boulevard. I passed a pub that while some may have called sad I found incredibly inviting. I was too busy staring at the pub's timeless character and those in it that I missed the bright lights of 3 Guys Pizza calling from across the street.   

(the)Skinny
While the 3 Guys are not and to my knowledge have never been from Italy (which 3 Guys/Boys are anymore?), it had no bearing on their ability to deliver a decent slice. I realized we were all content when silence replaced complaints as we chowed down in their nicely sized dining area. My plain slice had the perfect amount of both cheese and sauce. The sauce, much to my delight, was not sweet and offered a hint of garlic. The dough was crisp, fresh and of perfect thickness. My herbivore skipped a veggie slice this time and satisfied her white slice craving. While a tad too salty for her liking, the crust was once again delicious and the slice was overall enjoyable. On the down side, the carnivore was given a slice that had the pepperoni added upon ordering. This never allows enough time for the pepperoni to get crispy and leaves an oily, soggy mess. He did have positive things to say about the cheese and sauce but found the dough too crispy. I thought that problem could easily be fixed if he'd just allow enough time for the pool of pepperoni oil to seep through. It never had the chance as we devoured our slices with gluttonous speed. After a moment of digestion and reflection, we all looked at our money and became even more impressed with the prices. I'm not saying 3 Guys has great slices but it's certainly a step in the right direction. 
Pepperoni - C-
White - C+
Plain - B-

3 comments:

  1. that cheese slice does look good. Never tried # guys from italy. Should try them out next time im in the Sq.

    One more thing, i know ill probably come off like a dick, but why do you put tag nyc, when these restaurants are not in ny. It a big pet peeve of mine when people still try to associate JC with ny, event in the slightest of ways.

    Its not like ny does the same thing and includes us in everything they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheese slice was good.

    Much of JC has something to do with the city just 5 minutes east of us.... including the slice I'm searching for. certainly a good, bare bones NY slice. If you read the initial blog about my search for the slice I clearly state that I'm looking for a slice similar to one in NYC.

    How can you not associate JC with NYC?! I find your separation of the two confusing. They work in tandem through a multitude of ways since their inceptions. I think your pet peeve is rooted in old school JC bravado, which I do not follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently ventured to 3 Guys as well. I had the same memories as you except I recall it had nothing to do with munchies. I frequented the shady establishment on a regular basis and routinely went out of my way to obtain that precious "perfect slice". I remember my dad taking me there for my first visit as a kid and how I always whined to go back.

    Sadly, this was not what I remembered. The dough was thick, the sauce was bland and the cheese, well, I'm pretty sure they purchase it's less expensive cousin - "Cheeze". Goodbye 3 Guys from (wherever you're from these days). My search continues...

    ReplyDelete